Just because it’s Malaysia Day…and the school holidays…and my Little Dragon is still sleeping (giving me a very rare opportunity to do something more elaborate for breakfast), I made tuna casserole from scratch today.
Tuna Casserole From Scratch
4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
2 cans button mushrooms, sliced thinly
2 cans tuna, drained
1 pack (250 gm) elbow macaroni
4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Preheat oven 190 C. Butter the baking dish(es) and set aside.
3. Sauté garlic, onions, celery. Add mushrooms. Set aside.
4. Melt butter over low heat, slowly whisking in the flour. Gradually whisk in the milk. Season with salt and pepper. (I was feeling adventurous and added a bit of paprika.)
5. Mix well the pasta, mushroom mixture and the sauce. Transfer into the baking dish(es).
6. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
The original recipe called for 1 cup of peas but my kids and I detest them so we skipped those. The original recipe also called for breadcrumbs topping but we didn’t have any and decided to just have the cheese but it came out yummy anyway. The original recipe also used egg noodles but I only had elbow macaroni but it was awesome all the same.
Original recipe here: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/86069/tuna-noodle-casserole-from-scratch